Pages

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Thrill's Thrifty Craft: Valentine's Day Craft

Ah, Valentine's Day.  How I love thee.  And I do really love Valentine's Day.  I have ever since I was a little girl sitting in class diligently decorating a shoe box that would later collect class Valentines.  I remember on one particular Valentine's Day, it was a few hours before our class party and I was feeling extra special because mom sent a fruit roll up in my lunch that day.  Score! I saved it for last and ate it right before lunch ended.  As I walked back to class, there was a pep in my step and I was so excited as I thought of the party that was to come.  But, as I walked, I felt a little rumbly in my tumbly and  I started to feel a little queasy. By the time I got to class I had that feeling.  You know the one.  The feeling that says you are about to upchuck.  But, my teacher was nowhere to be found.  Being the strict rule follower I was, I was afraid to leave class without permission.  So I stood in the doorway, my eyes searching the small hallway for my teacher while simultaneously taking small breaths and trying not to ralph in front of the entire class.  When she finally arrived I said "Miss Chris, I think I'm gonna be...." And then I ralphed in front of the entire class!  I ended up going home.  I still remember trying to talk my mom into letting me stay at school.  But, alas, she brought me home where I sat by a trash can and mourned the fact that I was missing the party and the chance to get hopped up on sugar and run around like a crazy person with my friends.  I didn't eat another fruit roll up for years.

I kind of forgot why I was telling you that story. Oh, well. 

So, as I was saying, I LOVE VALENTINE'S DAY! I love all the red and pink displays, the chocolate, I love the little frilly paper doilies, the chocolate, the cheesy little cards that kids pass to one another, the chocolate, dumb romantic movies, the chocolate... MMM CHOCOLATE.....

Sorry, I got a little sidetracked.  Back to crafty goodness.  As promised on my last post, a Valentine's Day craft!


It is cute and very simple.  This craft can be done with materials you have around the house.  You will need:


Wax Paper
Crayons-- I used cheapo ones from Walmart
Big pencil sharpener or crayon sharpener-- Again, I got one for a dollar at Walmart ** You could also use a cheese grater
Iron
Craft Paper or paper towels- to protect the surface and the iron.



I first got the idea from Martha Stewart's website.  You can check it out, here.   I followed the tutorial and everything came out perfect! I will say that the crayons kept breaking off into the sharpener and so I had to use something to dig out the small broken pieces.  Other than that, easy peasy.

I made these about 3 years ago and I have pulled them out as a part of my Valentine's day decor ever since.  They look great in the window because they are sort of translucent. 
 
Here is what they look like in the window- pay no attention to the mess on the patio!

I used string to hang them, but I think ribbon (thin) would be pretty.  I didn't hang mine from a dowel rod, as suggested. I hang them individually (usually from the ceiling with tacks) and store them in a large envelope the rest of the year.

This is where I have them hanging now.
Just a little touch of Valentine's Day!

There you have it, folks.  A cheap and easy craft.  I plan on posting one more craft this week, so come on back! Stay crafty, my friends!














2 comments:

  1. Testing what? Love this. Keep it up and I may find out all kinds of things about you I didn't know!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was testing the comments section because I changed some options and I wasn't sure if it worked! I am glad you are reading :)

    ReplyDelete